Attendees: 21(Al Jaccoma, Hugh Bruce, Bob Carpenter, Bob Grossman, Pete Bronson, Frank Stearns, Carl Foster, Tom Siracuse, Kathy Hager, John MacDougall, Greg Posnick, Adam Lessuck, Bob Davidow, June Svetlovsky, Lionelle Hamanaka, Elliot Markson, Gabe Falsetta, Joe Urgo, Nelson Levitt, Susan Andrews, Bob Keilbach).
1. Introductions - The meeting started with introductions at 7 PM, chaired by Chapter 34 President Al Jaccoma. Susan Andrews attended the meeting as a guest.
2. Treasury Report - Bob C reported that the treasury currently has $705 on hand. Meeting attendees contributed toward the cost of the meeting room at the Community Church. Frank gave Bob $230 that was raised at the Queens fundraiser for the Vietnam Victims of Agent Orange Campaign, which will be transmitted to the campaign.
3. Executive Committee Actions - The following actions were approved at the February 7 Executive Meeting:
a. Bi-monthly chapter meetings schedule for the first and third Thursday of each month was established thru December 2008.
b. On Thursday February 21, the chapter will be attending the IVAW Winter Soldier 2 fundraiser at the Ethical Culture Society, from 7-9PM, in lieu of the previously scheduled Chapter 34 meeting. Location: 2 West 64th Street at Central Park West.
The evening will begin with a taped greeting to the vets from Pete Seeger followed by a VVAW panel discussing the first Winter Soldier (1971).
There will also be panels of Iraq and Afghanistan veterans, and young vets (live feed or dvd) who have chosen to go to Canada.
Donation: Iraq & Afghanistan Veterans - Free
Adults (Members Of Peace Groups) - $20 General Public - $500
Volunteers are needed to work on ticket distribution and security
Updates at http://www.veteransforpeaceny.org/vfpnyevents.htm
c. A condolence card will be sent to Chapter 34 member Lew Friedman, in memory of his dad Izzy, who passed earlier this week.
4. Chapter liaisons – Adam Lessuck was elected to be the Chapter 34 representative to IVAW. AJ was elected as the Chapter 34 representative to attend UFPJ meetings, which is especially important regarding planning for March 19th Fifth Anniversary of the Iraq War actions. Bob G is the alternate rep.
5. Election of Chapter Officers - nominees each provided a brief oral description of their qualifications for the job, as well as future plans for chapter activities. All veteran members were eligible to vote, in accordance with existing Chapter 34 bylaws. Results of the election are as follows:
President: Carl Foster
VP: Frank Stearns
Treasurer: Bob Carpenter
Secretary: Bob Keilbach
The incumbent President and VP, AJ and Hugh, were applauded for their great service and contribution to the chapter.
6. VFP Convention Presentation – Joe Urgo suggested that chapter members put together a presentation regarding the extent of US bases around the world, for presentation at the annual VFP convention in Minneapolis this summer. A number of members agreed to participate, and this issue will be discussed at the next meeting.
7. New Business/Upcoming Events
a. Saturday, February 9 @ 3 PM - Memorial service for Gideon Rosenbluth, former National Board Member of VFP. 343 8th Avenue, NYC in the Penn South Coops, convenient to Penn Station, the IRT Broadway line and IND 8th Avenue subway.
b. Friday, Feb. 15th, 2008, 12-2PM - Iraq Moratorium MFSO Protest at Sen. HR Clinton’s NY office 780 3rd Avenue, near 48 St. 12-2PM.
c. Sunday, Feb. 17 @1PM Resistance Cinema showing of Winter Soldier film. Community Church, 28 East 35 St. NY
d. Sunday, Feb. 17 @5-7PM Fundraiser for Winter Soldier 2 - Location: Vox Pop 1022 Cortelyou Road, Brooklyn NY. Subway: Q to Cortelyou Rd or F to Ditmas Ave www.voxpopnet.net Telephone: 718 940 2084
Screening of an excerpt of the 1971 film Winter Soldier followed by speakers from IVAW and VVAW. Co-sponsored by Brooklyn for Peace http://www.brooklynpeace.org
e. Tuesday February 19 - 1:30-3:30PM at Brooklyn College. IVAW Teach-in regarding Winter Soldier 2.
f. Tuesday February 19 - 5:30PM at 72nd St & Broadway. Westside Peace march up Broadway.
g. Thursday February 21 – Chapter 34 will be attending the IVAW Winter Soldier 2 Fundraising event at the Ethical Culture Society, from 7-9PM, in lieu of the scheduled Chapter 34 meeting. Location: 2 West 64th Street at Central Park West
h. Saturday & Sunday March 1-2, 2008 – 25 mile March from Philadelphia to Valley Forge, PA
i. March 13 -16, 2008 - IVAW Winter Soldier 2, at George Meany Labor College, Silver Spring, MD. This event will be the largest gathering of US veterans of Iraq and Afghanistan in history, as well as Iraqi and Afghan survivors, to offer first-hand, eyewitness accounts to tell the truth about these occupations - their impact on the troops, their families, our nation, and the people of Iraq and Afghanistan. All members are urged to support what promises to be an historic event. There has been a call to mobilize fellow veterans to provide security during the event. Individuals who want to provide security must attend mandatory training on Thursday March 13th.
j. Wednesday, March 19, 2008: Fifth Anniversary of the Invasion and Occupation of Iraq UFPJ has initiated planning and organizing for what is hoped to be the largest day of nonviolent direct action and civil disobedience yet against the war in Iraq, in Washington, DC. Folks in Washington on March 19th can be participate in civil disobedience, or assist in support work.
Those who are unable to make it to Washington on March 19 will be organizing local actions throughout the country, tied to the protest in Washington, sending a message to the policy makers to end this war and occupation. Details regarding NYC actions TBA.
k. Saturday, March 22, 2008 @ 12 Noon: Fifth Anniversary of the Invasion and Occupation of Iraq "River-to-River" event in NYC
8. Peace Vigils - VFP members currently participate in four ongoing weekly peace vigils at locations throughout NYC:
! Grandmothers for Peace - Vigil for Peace at Rockefeller Center, Fifth Avenue between 49 - 50 St. every Wednesday afternoon from 4:30 - 5:30 PM.
! Women in Black - Silent Peace Vigil at 41 St and Fifth Avenue every Wednesday afternoon 5:30 - 6:30 PM
! VFP/Queens Network for Peace & Justice - 2 Peace Vigils, one at Continental Av & Austin St. in Forest Hills, and one in front of the Flushing Library, Saturday morning from 11AM - 12 Noon
These vigils have been a positive means of educating the public regarding efforts to defund the Iraq war and end the occupation, bring our troops home, and provide information to counter military recruiters, as well as attempt to attract new members.
9. Meeting Schedule – First and Third Thursday of each month, unless otherwise noted, posted on the Calendar at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vfpnyc034
The next 3 general meetings of NYC Chapter 34 are scheduled for:
! Thursday March 6, 2008 - 7:00 PM at 28 E.35 Street
! Thursday March 20, 2008 - 7:00 PM at 28 E.35 Street
! Thursday April 3, 2008 - 7:00 PM at 28 E.35 Street
The Executive Committee meets twice a month, at 6:00 PM, prior to each general meeting of the chapter. The next Executive Committee meeting will be on Thursday March 6, 2008 at 28 E. 35 St. at 6:00 PM