Attendees: 17 (Al Jaccoma, Bob Carpenter, Hugh Bruce, Bob Grossman, Bill Gilson, Pete Bronson, Al Stolzer, Carl Foster, Nelson Levitt, Joe Lisitza, Tom Siracuse, June Svetlovsky, Joe Urgo, Nathan Russo, Adam Hunt, Adam Lessuck, Bob Keilbach).
1. Introductions - The meeting started at 7 PM, chaired by Ch 34 Pres. Al Jaccoma. Three new members, Nathan Russo, Adam Hunt, Adam Lessuck also attended the meeting. Nathan is planning to spend five months in Southeast Asia, from November thru March 2008.
2. Treasury Report - Meeting attendees contributed $51 toward the cost of the meeting room at the Community Church. Bob C expressed concern that current chapter expenses exceed income. It was agreed that the issue of chapter dues and/or fundraising would be addressed by the Executive Committee, and presented to the Chapter at the next meeting. Bob is also contacting the Community Church, to reduce our current rent, and drafting a fund-raising letter, to be addressed to members and supporters.
3. UFPJ Regional Actions - Bob G has been representing Chapter 34 at UFPJ meetings in planning for the NYC Regional march on Saturday October 27th. The veterans and military families contingent is scheduled to assemble at 12 Noon on East 17 St. between Park Avenue South and Broadway. There will be a march beginning at 1PM down Broadway, to a Peace & Justice Fair at Foley Square. Bob will apply for a VFP table at Foley Square. Bill G and Bob K will disseminate chapter literature, and do fundraising at the table.
UFPJ has a half-page English/Spanish leaflet posted on the website: www.oct27.org/new_york
The website also has a housing board, map of the assembly area and route, contingent locations, feeder marches, leafleting, etc. The UFPJ contact person is Leslie Kielson firstname.lastname@example.org
A mailing is being prepared by the Veterans Peace Council for dissemination to all local veteran contacts, which will also include information regarding the Veterans Day Parade, Moe Fishman memorial service, IVAW showing of “Meeting Resistance” and VFP pre-Veterans Day events.
4. Veterans Day Parade - Sunday November 11 - until a definite muster location for our contingent is established, we will meet at the NW corner of 26 St. and Madison Avenue. We will be marching in the annual NYC Parade to present our anti-war message, as a counterpoint to the many pro-war groups participating. We will have chapter banners, “Bring them Home Now” banners, and music at the parade. Hugh has registered our contingent. Bill G volunteered to help Hugh with preparations for the parade. Aris and John M volunteered to help out as marshals for our contingent. We plan to honor our recently fallen brother members from NY & NJ from the Reviewing Stand.
5. Lt.Watada Retrial - Lt Ehren Watada's double-jeopardy re-trial has been postponed indefinitely. Weather permitting, we will meet in Washington Square Park, on Friday October 19 from 11AM-2PM, and 4-7PM, and Saturday October 20 from 12-2PM, to distribute information regarding the unconstitutional re-trial of Lt. Watada, who is being prosecuted for speaking out so courageously at the 2006 VFP Convention in Seattle. This will also be the Chapter 34 participation for this month in the ongoing third Friday Iraq Moratorium & Molly Ivins campaigns.
6. Islamo-Fascism Awareness Week - Joe U provided information regarding a tour of reportedly over 110 colleges by David Horowitz's Freedom Center and Terrorism Awareness Project, a well-funded and influential neo-con group. Among the goals of the program is to raise awareness of the terrorist threat from the “Islamo-Fascist crusade against America, Israel and the West” and provide support for an attack on Iran. There was considerable discussion regarding whether or not this is a real threat, or the right's reaction to the recent success of the anti-war movement. We will likely discuss this issue further at a future meeting.
7. VFP 2007 Convention Video - A video of speeches presented by Michael McPhearson, Dave Cline, Phyllis Bennis and Elaine Johnson at the 2007 VFP Convention in St Louis was viewed at the meeting. Relevant portions of the remaining talks will be presented at the next chapter meeting.
8. New Business/Upcoming Events
a. Sunday October 21 - Gene Glazer Memorial service, 2:00 - 5:00 PM at Unitarian Church 67 Church Street Montclair, NJ 07042 Info: 973-220-7643 or 973-746-8773
b. Sunday October 21, evening - IVAW Fundraiser, showing of “Meeting Resistance” at Cinema Village theater, 22 E.12 St. Showtimes are 5:15, 7:20 and 9:25PM; followed by discussion with filmmakers after the 5:15 & 7:20 screenings.
c. Saturday October 27 - UFPJ Regional March in NYC
d. Saturday November 10 @10:30AM - Moe Fishman Memorial service at Judson Memorial Church, 55 Washington Square South, NYC.
e. Saturday November 10 @3PM - VFP Veterans Day event in Washington Square Park
f. Sunday November 11 - Veterans Day Parade, Fifth Avenue, NYC
g. Friday November 16, and every third Friday thereafter, 12-2PM - Iraq Moratorium/Raise Hell for Molly Ivins Campaign demonstration, with noisemakers, in front of Senator Clinton's Office at Third Avenue and 48 St.
h. November 16-18 - Annual SOA/WHISC Vigil and the Nonviolent Direct Action to Close the School of the Americas, Fort Benning, GA
i. January 11 or 12, 2008 - Memorial service for David Cline (TBA)
9. Peace Vigils - VFP members currently participate in four ongoing weekly peace vigils at locations throughout NYC:
! Grandmothers for Peace - Vigil for Peace at Rockefeller Center, Fifth Avenue between 49 - 50 St. every Wednesday afternoon from 4:30 - 5:30 PM.
! Women in Black - Silent Peace Vigil at 41 St and Fifth Avenue every Wednesday afternoon 5:30 - 6:30 PM
! VFP/Queens Network for Peace & Justice - 2 Peace Vigils, one at Continental Av & Austin St. in Forest Hills, and one in front of the Flushing Library, Saturday morning from 11AM - 12 Noon
These vigils have been a positive means of educating the public regarding efforts to defund the Iraq war and end the occupation, bring our troops home, and provide information to counter military recruiters, as well as attempt to attract new members.
10. Meeting Schedule - First and Third Thursday of each month, posted on the Calendar at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vfpnyc034
The next 3 general meetings of NYC Chapter 34 are scheduled for:
! Thursday November 1, 2007 - 7:00 PM at 28 E.35 Street, showing of additional 2007 VFP Convention video highlights
! Thursday November 15, 2007 - 7:00 PM at 28 E.35 Street
! Thursday December 6, 2007 - 7:00 PM at 28 E.35 Street
The next Exec Committee meeting is scheduled for Monday October 29, at 25 W. 43
St. in the 19th floor conference room from 6:30 - 9 PM